Reasons for Giving
The reasons for making a gift to Auburn Community Hospital (ACH) and the Auburn Community Hospital Foundation (ACHF) are personal and varied. Perhaps you are grateful for your care and experience and want to give something back. Maybe you would like to leave a legacy to benefit future patients for generations to come. Perhaps you feel passionate about supporting an important cause, such as a program, service or the development of new technology. Or you may wish to take advantage of the tax benefits of making a gift.
Whatever your motivation, you’ll find as many ways to make a difference right here in your community. We welcome all gifts, large or small, restricted or unrestricted.
Types of Gifts
When you make an outright gift to ACH or ACHF your contribution can be put to work immediately - either providing funding for current programs or creating a reliable source of future income by expanding the hospital’s endowment. An outright gift may be composed of almost any asset of value:
- Cash gifts - the simplest and easiest gifts you can make - can be made through credit/debit card transactions, outright cash, personal checks, cashier’s checks, or money orders made payable to ACH or ACHF.
- Gifts of appreciated securities, stocks, and bonds also provide considerable tax advantages when transferred to the hospital before they are sold. If you have held your securities for more than one year, you may find that your gift will provide a twofold tax benefit, creating a federal income tax deduction as well as helping avoid the capital gains tax that would have been due on their sale.
If you wish to transfer stocks from a broker’s account:
- Please call (or have your broker call) the hospital at 315.253.1715 for further details and information on delivery instructions for DTC transfer.
- Physical stock certificates may be sent by certified mail or overnight express, with endorsement on the back of the certificate(s) exactly as stated on the face of the certificate(s). Do not fill in any other blanks. No stock power is necessary as long as you do not fill in the hospital’s name on the back.
- Gifts of real estate - (including personal residences, second homes, income property, and vacant land) offer a wide variety of tax and other benefits. Whereas most people give their entire interest away, it is also possible to give only a portion of the property (an undivided percentage interest) while retaining the rest for other purposes.
- Gifts of personal property - including rare books, works of art, valuable collectibles, and tangible items of demonstrable value - in some cases may enable you to make a significant gift to support the hospital with outstanding tax benefits to you.
Honor and Memorial Gifts
An honor or memorial gift is a meaningful way to honor or perpetuate the memory of a loved one. When these gifts are received, a letter is sent to the family informing them of the gift. Any contribution’s impact may be enhanced by making it in memory of a family member, physician, friend or caregiver.
For more than 100 years Auburn Community Hospital has been dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable health care to our community. And because we're a nonprofit hospital, the gifts from our friends, former patients and families are what keep us here to serve the next generation of patients—thank you!
Giving Through Programs
Women's Giving Circle
The mission of the Women’s Giving Circle (WGC) of the ACHF is to unite a community of women philanthropists through the pooling of knowledge and resources for the purpose of improving healthcare by providing grants to ACH initiatives.
Our objectives are to create a culture for women’s philanthropy, strengthen a culture of fundraising within the hospital, reach broad groups of women and to help empower women as they make health and philanthropic decisions.
Any woman may become a member of the WGC. Gifts need to be made to the ‘WGC ACHF’ by May 15th.
- Voting Member – women who donate $250 or more by May 15th will have one vote for the granting process
- Contributing Member – women who donate any amount less than $250
- Founding Member – women who created the WGC
- Charter Member – women who become any type of member in 2012
Gifts to the WGC are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
The WGC funds hospital initiatives only and does not give grants to individuals.
The WGC accepts proposals requesting funding for demonstration projects (if accompanied by a sound evaluation plan), general operating costs, new or special projects undertaken by the hospital, gap funding for a project, and capital projects.
The WGC does not fund any project that would jeopardize its 501(c)(3) status, deficit financing or political or lobbying efforts.
Grateful Patient/Champions of Care
The Champions of Care program at Auburn Community Hospital offers patients, their families and friends an opportunity to support patient services and programs while commending the exemplary care received from a physician, nurse, volunteer or employee.
Patients often express a wish to say thank you to a special doctor, nurse or other caregiver for their extraordinary support and care. Making a gift in honor of your caregiver through our Champions of Care program is a unique and especially meaningful way to express your appreciation.
Whether you choose to make your gift by mail or by phone, we will gratefully acknowledge your Champion of Care with a custom lapel pin to wear proudly throughout the hospital and medical offices. We will also send you an acknowledgement letter and receipt for your tax-deductible gift.
Your gift will be used for patient programs and to support employee and community health education and equipment. If there is a specific area of the hospital that holds special meaning to you, we encourage you to designate your gift to that department on the response form.
Matching Gift Programs
An easy way to double or even triple your donation to the hospital is to find out if your company has a matching-gift program. Such programs typically match all or a percentage of employee contributions to charitable organizations, making the employer a partner in employees’ personal philanthropy. Simply obtain a matching-gift form from your employer’s personnel office, fill it out, and provide it to us with your contribution.
Permanently Restricted Funds
When you specify that your gift is to be permanently restricted to the foundation, the income from it may be directed to a specific purpose of your choice. Alternatively, you may specify that while the principal is permanently restricted, the income is unrestricted. Grants will be made from the income from such funds for areas of greatest need. All permanently restricted funds are professionally managed through ACHF.
When you attend one of our events such as our annual Golf Classic or Gala you are also furthering the mission of the hospital and helping to provide care to our patients.
For additional information on how to support our mission of quality, compassionate care please visit our Foundation Page.