Rural Residency Training Program
The Auburn Community Hospital Rural Residency Training track is a 1:2 residency program based out of the SUNY Upstate Family Medicine Program. This offers a rare opportunity to have both training at a large medical campus in the city of Syracuse and a true rural training experience in Auburn, NY, located 40 minutes to the east.
The core program is based at SUNY Upstate in Syracuse with 18 residents (6-6-6) currently training. The Rural training program with Auburn Community Hospital will have 2 residents per year (2-2-2), with the first year being primarily in Syracuse and the rest in Auburn. Residents will experience a wealth of training and experiences in Family Medicine, inpatient medicine, OB/GYN, addiction medicine, trauma care in emergency departments, and many more.
The mission of SUNY Upstate’s and Auburn Community Hospital’s Rural Residency Training Program is to train the next generation of exemplary family medicine clinicians to provide compassionate, informed, and quality care by emphasizing patient-centered healthcare in acute, outpatient and preventative care settings.
SUNY Upstate and Auburn Community Hospital are partnering to train valued community physicians that provide high quality, innovative, patient-centered, compassionate, and barrier-free healthcare. We aim to promote healthful living and provide an environment where patients and employees feel welcomed, supported and respected. The vision is also to increase the amount of primary care physicians within Central New York.
- Full spectrum family medicine, including OB from well-trained physicians
- High volume of clinic and hospital procedures
- Participation with rural county health department to understand policies and issues within the community
- Immersion into addiction medicine and behavioral health clinics
- Multitude of options for post-residency employment within the Central New York region
- Primarily at SUNY Upstate in Syracuse
- Experience Team Based Care environment in Outpatient clinic
- No electives in 1st year
- 20 vacation days
- Primarily at Auburn Community Hospital
- Option for two four-week electives
- Wide range of rotations to experience full scope of physician practice while promoting community engagement
- 20 vacation days